LaGuardia Community College Logo


Our Best Answer: How can I apply for a leave of absence?

Medical Leave for Students

Students who experience a medical incident that prevents them from continuing their classes can apply for a Medical Leave of Absence (MLA). Students must make the request within 6 months following the end of the session in which the incident occurred. 

To be eligible, students must submit a letter from their treating physician to the Health Services Center in MB40 as soon as possible so as not to jeopardize their academic record. The letter must be on official letterhead, and/or a doctor?s stamp must contain the following information:

  • Doctor's diagnosis and treatment (what is/was treatment that prevents the student from attending classes)
  • Date when treatment began
  • Expected date of return to class (if possible)

During the period covered by the leave, students will receive grades of "W" for all courses taken.

Review how a MLA affects tuition liability.

Review how ?W? grades affect financial aid eligibility.

If this doesn't answer your question, please send us a message via the
Ask My Advising Team button on your My LaGuardia page

Was this information helpful?

Having trouble finding your answer? Please send us an email.