LaGuardia Community College Logo


Our Best Answer: How do I establish residency?

Establishing Residency

The Bursar’s Office is not currently open, but we are here for you.
If you have any questions regarding your account, please email
or text us at 347-291-1944 or 347-291-1945 for answers to your questions,
Monday–Friday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
Live chat with the Bursar’s Office?

A student who is interested in becoming a permanent resident of New York to secure in-state tuition at LaGuardia Community College must be able to show proof of maintaining a 12-month residence in the State of New York and resided in the City of New York for at least 6 consecutive months immediately prior to the first day of classes. See our Residency forms page for application, instructions and document checklist.

Continuing students submit their application and documents to the Registrar’s Office in C107. New students submit theirs to the Admissions Office in C102.

New York State residents who are not city residents, must obtain a Certificate of Residence from their County Clerk’s Office prior to registering. To obtain a Certificate of Residence:

  • Click on the appropriate link to your county (see links below)
  • Complete the request for a Certificate of Residence
  • Have the application form NOTARIZED
  • Present the notarized request, plus two items of proof of residency to your local county clerk. The clerk will issue you a Certificate of Residency
  • BRING the Certificate issued by the county clerk to the Bursar's Office

Important Message: Students must refer to their county for specific rules and application deadlines. In addition, Residency Certificates EXPIRE; they are only valid for 1 year.

Neighboring County Links:
Suffolk County
Westchester County 
Nassau County
Rockland County 
Sullivan County 
Dutchess County                                                 

Was this information helpful?

Having trouble finding your answer? Please send us an email.