LaGuardia Community College Logo


Our Best Answer: What is Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

To maintain eligibility for federal and state financial aid programs, you're required to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) as you work toward completing your educational goals. The Federal Pell Grant, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Work-Study and Federal Direct Loan programs all require SAP.

LaGuardia Community College has established guidelines, which apply to all students enrolled in a  degree program, to promote timely completion of its educational programs: see our Financial Aid Policies.

All students who receive federal financial aid are affected by the SAP policy and requirements. You're evaluated for SAP on an annual basis at the end of the Spring semester. Federal guidelines require that we count all classes even if you weren't receiving financial aid at the time you were enrolled. Credits for all courses from all semesters are counted and evaluated.

After you receive the first payment of TAP state financial aid, your grade point average and earned credits will be included in evaluation to determine whether you're eligible for further payments.

Students are notified prior to the beginning of the Fall semester of their academic progress status. Students who receive a letter reporting unsatisfactory academic progress must meet with an advisor immediately. Students should work with their advisor to determine the steps they can take to improve their status.

If you have additional questions or concerns, contact Student Financial Services for direct assistance.


Was this information helpful?

Having trouble finding your answer? Please send us an email.