LaGuardia Community College Logo


Our Best Answer: How do I file my FAFSA?

Filing your FAFSA

The FAFSA is the application form required for all federal financial aid. You can file your FAFSA online, or you can chat with us virtually where our staff will assist you. You can also call (800) 433-3243 for help with filing your FAFSA.

The Federal School Code for LaGuardia is 010051.

You will need the following information:

NOTE: When you?re filing your FAFSA for the 2021-2022 aid year (effective October 1, 2020), you?ll need tax forms and income information from 2019. When filing for the 2022-2023 aid year (effective October 1, 2021), you'll need tax forms and income information from 2020.

  • An FSA ID for you and your parent (you can create one online) to be used as your electronic signature
  • Your Social Security Number (SSN)
  • Alien Registration/Permanent Resident Number (non-citizen only)
  • Federal tax forms (1040 & W2) for you, your spouse/parent
  • New York State tax forms (IT-201) for you, your spouse/parent
  • Other untaxed income (you, spouse/parent) from:
    • Self-employment
    • Funds received from other sources such as a relative for living and personal expenses
    • Child support received from non-custodial parent
    • Social Security benefits
    • Most recent assets such as:
      • Savings & checking accounts
      • Investments, business and farm

It is important that you submit your FAFSA application by the priority filing dates. Failure to do so may delay the processing of your application. Priority deadlines for 2021-2022 are March 15th (for upcoming Fall semester) and December 15th (for upcoming Spring semester). The deadline to file your FAFSA for the 2021-2022 school year is June 30, 2022.

You can file your FAFSA as early as October 1 the prior year. If you wait too long, you might miss the deadline for scholarships and/or campus-based Federal Work-Study.

For more information, visit the Financial Aid website. If you have additional questions or concerns, you can ask them by email or contact Student Financial Services virtually for direct assistance.

Was this information helpful?

Having trouble finding your answer? Please send us an email.