LaGuardia Community College Logo


Our Best Answer: How do I apply for graduation and obtain my diploma?

Applying for Graduation

Students may apply for graduation in two ways:

  • Register for Intent to Graduate (GRD OOO) via CUNYfirst in the same manner in which all other courses are registered. GRD OOO is not a class; it is an important alert for the Registrar to evaluate a student?s academic record for on-track degree completion in conjunction with graduation requirements. Students can register for GRD OOO via CUNYfirst up to the last day to add/swap courses for the 12-week session of the term in which they plan to graduate. Only students whose GPA is 2.00 or above can utilize this option.
  • Apply for graduation by email, be sure to put Graduation in the subject line. If you are a students whose GPA is less than 2.00, please write that in your email.

In both cases, regardless of whether a student plans to graduate in Session I (12-week session) or Session II (6-week session), they must apply by the deadline in Session I as published on the academic calendar. If GRD OOO is not registered, or if students miss the in-person deadline, then they will not graduate.

Upon completion of the review, and if the Registrar has determined that a student has met all requirements for graduation, the student will receive a letter with instructions for collecting their diploma. Any holds on a student?s record (for example: Bursar, Financial Aid, Library) must be cleared before release of the diploma.

If this doesn't answer your question, please send us a message via the
Ask My Advising Team button on your My LaGuardia page

Was this information helpful?

Having trouble finding your answer? Please send us an email.